Wednesday, July 16, 2008

COME ON PEOPLE!!

Okay so had to vent a tad!! Okay maybe alot, and the subject of my concern is all the servers out there and how crappy it is that there money is going to the Gas Pump!! The economy is at an all time low however Olive Garden and several other major restaurants are Thriving, actually some made more sells than ever! So People are still going out to eat and ALOT!! Restautrants do really well in the east because mot people eat out everymeal or get take out ( and ps if you get take out umm ya leave a tip they have to box up all your food and label it and make sure you have utensils and they run around frantic to make sure you get it when you arrive) BLAH!! anyways the problem is people are tipping less and less because going out is so much fun but they really don't think about the tip till the end and then when they reliaze it, as that little white paper is set on there table Oh crap I forgot the tip part, the server who hopefully worked really hard to make sure you were taken care of is left with maybe two dollars!!!! On probably a thirty dollar ticket! Servers Only make maybe $2.15 an hour thats all, they depend on you to feed there familys and provide the means to just get by! Not only do they make $2.15 an hour but at the end of the night they need to tip out there Bar Tender who makes in a good Restaurant at least 8.00 or higher plus tip and the Bussers who make maybe 5.00 plus tip! Some servers at two weeks Checks are ZERO after taxes and if they donate to the restaurant for family in time of need! At Olive Garden its called Darden Dimes! But most every Restaurant I have worked at has something like that, Uath are the worst Tippers out there! Believe me I don't know what it is but they plain suck, numerous times I would bust my ass on a Family of four kids got the 3 dollar kids meal and the parents split there freaking meal and they all got waters, and they maybe left me three dollars becasue oh that was 10% but quess what Family of Four with all waters, I worked just as hard on the next table next to you, who got two cokes and two entress and left me ten! I probably worked harder filled your waters 4 times each got the free refills that the kids spilled and I will have to crawl under the table to mop up later, sat there for three or four minutes while the parents let the damn kids decide what they want to eat ( no mommie I want the chicken fingers not the hambuger blah blah blah)FREAKING HAVE THE KIDS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT PUHLEEESE!! :) boxed up all your food and tried to do it with a smile as the sugar packets are everywhere and food all over the floor. But okay I best leave them ten percent she was nice and all but the ticket is less than 15 dollars so hmm 1.50 is right!! JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT WATERS DOES NOT MEAN HEY I'LL SAVE MONEY THAT WAY! No the money you save should go to the server she has to work just as hard if that were a seven dollar glass of wine!!! Hell she works harder runnnin back and forth to keep it filled because ( OH MY MY DRINK IS EMTY AND IF SHE ISN'T HERE TO FILL IT UP RIGHT AWAY THEN SHE IS A CRAPPY SERVER ) i am back there trying to get your kids chicken nuggets becuse the kid switched so many times I odrered the wrong thing!!!! I always remeber my dad being a great tipper and my mom always got water and there were four of us crazy kids, but he always did!! Thanks Dad :) And if your wait time is longer than you thought or a hostess was rude or someone looked at you funny, don't take it out on the server tipping less cuz you had to wait longer than you thought, or your food was cooked wrong or silverware was dirty!!Servers already get the heads up that hey this guy is pissed, well great if i don't really work hard I will get nothing and probably nothing anyways, I am coming to my point I understand that most of our extra money is going to the gas pumps and what little extra we have well its nice to get ourselves something but when you go out to eat don't tip simply cuz you can't afford too just don't go! IF you know you can't tip wait a week and save an extra ten bucks so you can tip properly, and Ten percent is really not that good!! it should be 15% Bottom line but don't always base it off how much your ticket is if you just got waters and shared something!! If your not going to agree with me on this that is fine but don't Leave me a post about it!! ;) Just warning you!! loves!

8 comments:

Ash said...

I think this is especially a Utah thing. I have friends who are servers and made a heck of a living in Nevada, Cali and Colorado, but Utah kills them. I ran into it a lot when I waited tables too. I wanted to scream. It sucks that people are so stingy, especially in a time like this. If you go out, make sure you have enough to tip, folks. And, I am not going to start on how I feel about people who bring their messy kids out to eat and leave a freaking disaster for the servers and bussers to clean up. That is beyond rude.

Kati said...

What a frusterating thing! My dad always taught me that you tip 15%. Now my dad never did a penny more or a penny less- but when we do go out to eat we just round up a dollar. Admittingly we are not great tippers, but it is totally rare that we eat out anyway. Thanks for informing about the tipping even for take out! I had NO IDEA!!! But you are right! I will do my best next time--- it is so hard to live in such an economy when people are having to get a little stingy to pay the bills. But you would think people would be starting to cut back on eatting out and COOKING cheaper meals... I assume it will likely get to that point. My cousin is the GM for El Pollo Loco in AF and they too are having record sells. SO CRAZY!!!

Did you find out anything about Tomas going to Iraq??

Chinos :) said...

So the 411 on Iraq right now is there are two units that are going 100% sure and they need about 50 more guys to go so they want to pull 50 guys from Tomas's unit! But Tomas's unit is now trying to just have there whole Unit Deploy instead of taking only a few guys! ITs not looking good, but we will get a phone call hoepfully soon saying okay your going, I hate all this waiting around it really stresses me out!

Erin said...

I never knew you were suppose to tip for take out. Luckily I have probably only done it once in my whole life but I'll remember it for the future. Also, I know we are terrible tippers and I always get mad at John for not leaving more. What is a decent amount to give for a normal priced meal at a place like Olive Garden. We always get waters not really to save money but just because we don't drink pop. So, what should we give. I was told to tip 18% but my old roommate said her dad would set aside 18% for the tip but then each time the server did something wrong or didn't refill glasses or made you wait forever he would reduce the amount for tip. Is that normal? I went to a restaurant in Logan and our waiter was terrible. We asked for out bill and some to go boxes and no lie he walked past us more than 6 times after that and did not even glance our way or comment that he was working on getting us boxes. We sat there for more than 20 minutes after we were done eating our food. Finally john went and asked another server helping another table to get us some boxes. She was back in about 1 minute with boxes. Should you tip him the 18% or is that a valid time to not be tipping very well. Its hard to know because like you said alot of the reasons it is taking a long time for the wait or whatever it is it isn't always their fault but they get the crap for it. I will definitely be more conscious about our messes and tipping next time we go out to eat. We always make messes from our kids dumping their waters. Are we suppose to ask for a mop or rag and clean it up? We always try to clean it up but I always feel like an idiot bent over the table trying to clean up a mess in a busy place. Sorry people aren't tipping like they should. Which Olive Garden do you guys work at? I want to go there now and tip you BIG and comment to the manager of what "Amazing servers you are."

Good luck with finding out about Iraq!

Unknown said...

Paul and I ALWAYS tip 20% min! 20 is if they sucked. If someone gives us great service we pay good bucks! ALWAYS

Chelsea said...

I remember you always being a good tipper:) which I agree with!..but don't you feel like Olive Garden and who ever else is probably making enough money they need to step it up a bit for their employees too??? That's what bugs me:)

Kati said...

I guess these things take time- but that is SO STRESSFUL to wait around for something SO important and big- like your husband going to Iraq! Good luck- and keep us "posted!"

Jess and Jared said...

After working at Maddox as a carhop, I really know what it is like to get horrible (and good) tips. I remember sometimes people would leave pennies and dimes, just pocked change. It was really annoying!